Andrew Morgan

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Andrew Morgan

Appearances: 9 Goals: 3

Date / Year of birth: 18th April 1921

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 1949/50

Season of last appearance: 1949/50

Also played for: Brechin City (Scotland) (0), Cuper Thistle (Scotland), Dundee (Scotland) (0), Raith Rovers (Scotland) (0), Markinch Victoria Rangers (Scotland), Chelsea (0), Fulham (0), Guildford City and Croydon Rovers

5' 10" tall centre-forward born in Freuchie, Fife who began his senior career with Brechin City, signing for them in March 1939. Andrew then moved on to Cuper Thistle, a Scottish junior club, in May 1939. Whilst playing for Cuper he was spotted by Dundee and they signed him in April 1940.

By that time World War II was in progress and Andrew became a Spitfire pilot in the RAF. In December 1943 he was shot down over Lille and captured. He then spent the remainder of the war in a prison camp based in East Germany.

After his liberation in April 1945 Andrew returned to Britain and joined Raith Rovers but he only played a few games for them during the 1945/46 season and soon moved on to Markinch Victoria Rangers, another Scottish junior side.

In October 1947 Andrew's job as a salesman led him to move South and he joined Chelsea for a short spell before linking up with Fulham as a part-time professional in January 1948. At that time Margate were one of several clubs trying to sign him. Whilst with Fulham Andrew played exclusively for the reserves, mainly due to work commitments limiting his availability, and he scored a hat-trick on his debut for them. He did receive one first team call-up but was injured and couldn't play.

In July 1948 Andrew was transfer listed and he soon joined Guildford City. Due to a shortage of football boots he initially had to play in ordinary work boots but still managed to score twice on his debut for City. He went on to score 14 goals in 34 appearances during the 1948/49 season and missed a month of the campaign due to a knee injury that required an operation. At the end of the season Andrew was released and he joined Croydon Rovers for a spell before moving to Margate in February 1950.

Andrew made his debut on 18.2.50 as Margate beat Royal Marines Chatham 4-0 in a Kent League game at Hartsdown. The following Saturday he scored the only goal as Margate won 1-0 at Snowdown and he went on to score twice more before the end of the 1949/50 campaign. At the end of the season Andrew was released having made just nine appearances for Margate.

He then retired from football as he felt that he was no longer fit enough to play and concentrated on coaching in schools football. Andrew also managed Onslow Boys for a spell.

In 2007 Andrew was 86 and living in Onslow, near Guildford with his wife having been married for over 50 years. Sadly he was almost blind as a result of macular degeneration but was otherwise in good health.

His brother Jimmy played for Hearts and Dundee.











1949/50 (MFC)