John Akinde

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

John Akinde

Appearances: 0+7 Goals: 0

Date / Year of birth: 8th July 1989

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 2007/08

Season of last appearance: 2007/08

Also played for: Gravesend & Northfleet, Whitstable Town, Ebbsfleet United, Bristol City (2+19,1), Wycombe Wanderers (15+2,8), Brentford (2,0), Bristol Rovers (12+6,0), Dagenham & Redbridge (12+2,2), Crawley Town (8+32,1), Portsmouth (3+8,0), Alfreton Town and Barnet

Powerful 6' 2" tall striker born in Camberwell, London who progressed through Gravesend & Northfleet's youth ranks and played for the club's Under-18's side during the 2006/07 season.

In January 2007 the Fleet loaned John to Kent League club Whitstable and he spent a few months there before returning to Stonebridge Road.

In May 2007 he played for the Kent Youth League's representative side in a match against Charlton's Under-18's and John had also made appearances in the Kent Senior Cup for Gravesend during the 2006/07 campaign. The club changed their name to Ebbsfleet United for the start of the 2007/08 season.

In August 2007 he joined Margate on what was intended to be a season-long loan and on 11.8.07 John scored a last-minute penalty in a 4-0 friendly win at his old club Whitstable. On the eve of the 2007/08 campaign Margate's player-manager Robin Trott told the Isle of Thanet Gazette that John was "Very young and inexperienced but is potentially a very good centre-forward. He needs to use his strength more but again he'll chase lost causes. Should get more goals but that'll come."

John made his debut as a substitute as Margate drew 1-1 with Chelmsford in an Isthmian League Premier Division game at Hartsdown Park on 18.8.07 and he then featured as a sub in the next six matches. He came off the bench after only 21 minutes of a 3-1 home win over Tonbridge on 1.9.07 and the Thanet Times said John "enjoyed his best game for the club, full of running and holding the ball up well". Robin Trott told the paper "He doesn't realise what a beast he is." On 8.9.07 John made his last sub appearance in a 1-1 draw at Staines and he was then recalled by Ebbsfleet having come off the bench a total of seven times without scoring for Margate.

In October 2007 John rejoined Whitstable on loan and scored seven goals from just nine Isthmian League Division 1 South outings (one as sub) for the Oystermen before returning to Ebbsfleet.

In November 2007 he scored in a Kent Senior Cup tie against Ramsgate and John then enjoyed a run of Conference games for the Fleet. After scoring four times in four matches he was given an 18-month contract and John ended the season by playing at Wembley as Ebbsfleet beat Torquay 1-0 to win the FA Trophy on 10.5.08. He set up the winning goal and Ebbsfleet became the first Kent club ever to triumph in the competition. John finished the campaign having scored ten goals from 29 outings (seven as sub).

In June 2008 Ebbsfleet turned down a £100,000 bid from Peterborough for John and he started the 2008/09 season by scoring twice from five Conference appearances, all bar one of them as a substitute.

On 1.9.08 Championship club Bristol City paid Ebbsfleet a fee of £150,000 for John's services and the transfer was historic as it was the first move ever to be decided by a poll of the members of the MyFootballClub project - an internet community who had taken over Ebbsfleet. The 7,500 members voted in favour of John leaving the club they owned and he told The Non-League Paper "I'm looking forward to making my mark here. I hope to be involved in the Championship this season but only the gaffer knows how near I am to the standard required. If you do your job correctly the rewards will come automatically. It's now about not letting anyone down who has put their faith in me." Bristol City manager Gary Johnson said "John has shown up really well. His first touch is surprisingly decent and the boy has bags of pace - and that will frighten the life out of defenders."

John made his debut for City as a substitute in a Championship game against Plymouth at Ashton Gate on 30.9.08 and scored as the Robins fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. He made his first start in a 3-0 defeat at Sheffield United on 4.10.08 and John then made five more sub appearances before being loaned to League Two club Wycombe in March 2009.

He scored twice on his debut for Wycombe as they drew 3-3 at Brentford on 14.3.09 and John went on to score five more goals from a total of 11 outings to help the Chairboys win promotion before going back to Bristol City at the end of the season.

He featured five times for City at the start of the 2009/10 campaign and then rejoined Wycombe for another loan spell in November 2009.

John made six appearances during a month with Wycombe and on 19.12.09 he scored nine minutes into a League One game against Oldham at Adams Park to register his first goal of his second spell with the club before being sent off 13 minutes later. It was his last game for the Chairboys before returning to Ashton Gate.

After making two substitute appearances for Bristol City in January 2010 John was loaned to League One outfit Brentford at the end of the month and he made his debut for the Bees in a 4-0 win over Gillingham at Griffin Park on 6.2.10. He only played once more and then went back to City where he made four further sub appearances in the Championship before the end of the 2009/10 campaign.

During the first month of the 2010/11 season John played three times as a sub for City before being loaned to Bristol Rovers at the end of August 2010.

His first game for Rovers was as a sub in a 1-1 draw at Oldham in League One on 4.9.10 and John then made his full debut in a 0-0 draw with Brentford at the Memorial Stadium on 11.9.10. He stayed with the Pirates until the start of January 2011 but didn't score from 18 outings (six as sub).

Within days of returning to Bristol City John was sent out on loan again, joining League One club Dagenham & Redbridge. He didn't feature in the Daggers first team until 2.4.11 when he came on as a sub in a 2-1 defeat at Exeter but after that John enjoyed a run in the side. He got his first goal in a 3-1 home win over Notts County on 9.4.11 and John finished the campaign having scored twice from nine appearances (one as sub) as the Daggers were relegated to League Two.

He was released by Bristol City at the end of May 2011 and John then immediately signed for League Two newcomers Crawley. Their manager Steve Evans said "John is a superb addition for us. He has all the physical attributes and defenders can never rest when he is playing. The boy is quick and is someone we look forward to working with in the season ahead."

John made his debut for Crawley as an 89th minute substitute in a 3-2 home win over AFC Wimbledon in the League Cup on 29.7.11 and then started for the first time in a 1-0 defeat at Southend in the Football League Trophy on 30.8.11. He was generally used as a substitute for the next few months and John didn't score his first goal until 27.2.12 when he struck in a 2-1 defeat at Shrewsbury.

In March 2012 Crawley loaned John to Dagenham & Redbridge and he made five League Two appearances (one as sub) for the Daggers without scoring during his second spell with the club.

After going back to Crawley in April 2012 John played three times as a sub before making a rare start in a 1-0 win at Accrington on 5.5.12 - the last game of the 2011/12 campaign.

During the first half of the 2012/13 season he was used exclusively as a substitute by Crawley and having come off the bench 11 times without scoring John was released by the club at the end of January 2013.

At the start of February 2013 he signed for League One strugglers Portsmouth on a month-to-month contract and their squad also included former Margate stars Phil Smith and Sam Sodje at the time. John made his debut in a 2-0 defeat at AFC Bournemouth on 9.2.13 but he was released at the end of 2012/13 having failed to scored from 11 outings (eight as sub) for Pompey.

In July 2013 he featured in friendlies for Dover and in a 1-0 home defeat against Woking John's younger brother Sam replaced him at halftime. Sam had previously had spells with Crawley (when John was with the club) and Ebbsfleet.

In August 2013 John signed a one-year contract with Conference club Alfreton and top scored with 19 goals from 45 appearances (one as sub) during 2013/14.

In May 2014 he signed for Alfreton's Conference rivals Barnet.










2007/08 (MFC)

0 (53)