Ray Chatham

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Ray Chatham

Appearances: 44 Goals: 0

Date / Year of birth: 20th July 1924

Position: Centre-back

Season of first appearance: 1959/60

Season of last appearance: 1959/60

Also played for: Oxley, Wolverhampton Wanderers (86,2) and Notts County (130,4)

Wolverhampton-born defender who started his career with Oxley before being signed by his hometown club in 1945.

Ray went on to make 86 senior appearances for Wolves, 76 of them in the 1st Division, spanning the 1946/47 to 1953/54 seasons and played alongside the likes of Billy Wright and goalkeeper Bert Williams. Ray was in the first team ever selected by Wolves' legendary manager Stan Cullis.

Ray moved on to Notts County in January 1954 and was a regular in their side for five seasons (1954/55-1958/59) before joining Margate in July 1959. Curiously he'd actually signed for the club in July 1958 but returned to Notts County just a month later - before the 1958/59 season even started. Ray had been released by Magpies manager Tommy Lawton but then the former England star was sacked and the County directors asked Ray to return. He also hadn't realised that he was due an £850 benefit so Margate allowed him to go back to Meadow Lane. The club got a transfer fee of £200 and first option on Ray which they took up a year later.

He initially struggled to break into Margate's first team during 1959/60 and didn't make his debut until 3.10.59 in a 5-0 win over Hinckley in the Southern League at Hartsdown Park. Ray then became an automatic choice for the rest of the campaign and made a total of 44 appearances without scoring. On 14.11.59 he played in a 1-1 draw at Kettering in the FA Cup 1st Round and Ray also featured in the replay at Hartsdown Park on 19.11.59 that Margate won 3-2. He was then in the side that drew 0-0 with visitors Crystal Palace in the 2nd Round on 5.12.59 and took part in the replay at Selhurst Park on 9.12.59 that the Eagles won 3-0. Ray was outstanding in Margate's defence throughout the season, usually playing as a centre-back, and he was described as being "ice cool" by the local press.

At the end of the 1959/60 campaign Ray was released by the club after refusing to accept a new deal on lower wages. He then retired and took up a coaching role at Crawley.

Ray was a commercial traveller by trade and he died on 1.6.99 aged 74.











1959/60 (MFC)

44 (57)









     Played in FA Cup 1st Round (14.11.59 - drew 1-1 at Kettering).
     Played in FA Cup 1st Round replay (19.11.59 - beat Kettering 3-2 at home).  
     Played in FA Cup 2nd Round (05.12.59 - drew 0-0 with Crystal Palace at home).
     Played in FA Cup 2nd Round replay (09.12.59 - lost 3-0 at Crystal Palace). 
     Played in Kent Senior Cup Final (18.04.60 - drew 0-0 with Dover).
     Played in Kent Senior Cup Final replay (28.04.60 - lost 1-0 to Dover).