Steve Harris

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Steve Harris

Appearances: 8 Goals: 1

Date / Year of birth: 1960

Position: Centre-back

Season of first appearance: 1988/89

Season of last appearance: 1988/89

Also played for: Folkestone & Shepway, Folkestone Town, Hythe Town, Folkestone and Folkestone Invicta

Folkestone-born defender who began his senior career with Folkestone & Shepway during the 1979/80 season and also played for them during 1980/81 when the club reverted to the name Folkestone Town. Steve later had a lengthy spell at Hythe before joining Thanet United in the summer of 1988.

He signed for the club after creating what the Isle of Thanet Gazette said was a "favourable impression" in a pre-season friendly against Herne Bay and Steve was seen as a replacement for the recently departed Dave Carr. He made his debut as United drew 1-1 with Ramsgate at Southwood in the annual Isle of Thanet Gazette Cup match on 2.8.88 and then played once more before dropping out of the side for almost two months.

Steve returned to the team for a Southern League game at home to Dunstable on 8.10.88 and marked his comeback by scoring United's goal in a 1-1 draw. The Thanet Times said that he was "dominant" in the heart of the United defence. Steve then played regularly during the weeks that followed and the Gazette said that he was "a stalwart pivot".

On 22.10.88 Steve suffered a terrible eye injury as United went down 3-0 at home to Leatherhead in the infamous FA Trophy tie that saw four Thanet players dismissed. Club secretary Ken Tomlinson said "he looked as if he had three eyes" after being elbowed in the face and Steve had to go to hospital as he was having trouble focusing. The injury kept Steve out of United's next game but he returned for a game against Trowbridge at Hartsdown on 5.11.88. The Thanet Times said that he "took the eye in defence" in a 2-1 defeat and also described Steve as being a "seasoned campaigner". However his injury was still troubling him and as a result Steve only played twice more for United. His last appearance came in a 6-2 defeat at Tonbridge on 12.11.88 and a few weeks later he left the club. He'd played eight times and scored once.

Steve rejoined Hythe after leaving Thanet and he then moved back to Folkestone during the 1989/90 season.

After another spell with Hythe Steve signed for Folkestone Invicta in the summer of 1991. They had effectively replaced the old Folkestone club.

Steve worked at Saga in Folkestone for many years and also played for a Sunday side in the area called Two Bells who dominated the local league.

In 2011 he was working as a self-employed mortgage broker in Folkestone and in August 2013 Steve played in a charity match to celebrate former Thanet player John Lineham's 50th birthday. A host of other former Margate / Thanet players were also involved in the game.









1988/89 (TUFC)

8 (52)