Tommy Barnett

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Tommy Barnett

Appearances: 40 Goals: 14

Date / Year of birth: 12th October 1936

Position: Winger / Striker

Season of first appearance: 1961/62

Season of last appearance: 1961/62

Also played for: Barnet, Chatham Town, Crystal Palace (15,2), Romford, Bexley United and St.Albans City

6' 0" tall pacy, hard-shooting winger born in Muswell Hill, London. Tommy started his career with Barnet and then played for Chatham during the 1957/58 and 1958/59 seasons, he scored a hat-trick against Margate on 4.10.58 but Chatham lost 9-5.

He then joined Crystal Palace in December 1958 but although Tommy did well for Palace's reserves, scoring 35 goals in 72 appearances for them, he found that his first team opportunities were limited at Selhurst Park. As a result he left the Eagles to join Margate in November 1961. No transfer fee was involved but Palace were given first option on reserve team player Stan Forster which they took up shortly afterwards.

Tommy made his debut in a 6-2 win over Tunbridge Wells in the Southern League at Hartsdown Park on 11.11.61 and scored one of the goals. He went on to make a total of 40 appearances during 1961/62 and found the net 14 times. His goals included one as Margate drew 1-1 against Notts County in the FA Cup 2nd Round at Hartsdown Park on 25.11.61 and Tommy also played in the replay at Notts County on 30.11.61 which the home side won 3-1.

After initially playing as a centre-forward Tommy found greater success when he was moved to the right wing and the local press described him as being "a complete enigma" whilst adding that Tommy was a player that "the fans hate one minute and love the next". On 28.4.62 he scored two excellent goals in a 3-1 win over Bexleyheath & Welling at Hartsdown Park and on 12.5.62 he bagged a brace as Margate beat visitors Folkestone 4-0 in the Kent Senior Shield Final but it turned out to be Tommy's last appearance. In the summer of 1962 he signed for Romford for a fee of £200 and went on to become a legendary figure with the London club.

Tommy stayed with Romford for eight seasons and eventually made over 500 appearances for the club, scoring a record 125 goals. He also set a record for the most goals in a season - 48. Tommy was dubbed 'The Brooklands Express' (Romford's ground was called Brooklands).

After being controversially released by Romford in the summer of 1970 Tommy had a spell with Bexley and then joined St.Albans.

By the 1973/74 season he was St.Albans' player-manager and Tommy scored once in ten appearances for them before retiring as a player at the end of 1974/75.

He later managed several Hertfordshire clubs - notably Hoddesdon and Hertford Town. Tommy took charge of Hertford during the 1976/77 season and registered as a player in case of emergencies. His spell as manager continued until he resigned during the 1983/84 campaign.

In March 1985 Tommy took charge of Hertford once again, reportedly reluctantly. He was quoted as saying "I have in no way come back as a messiah. It's a chore at the moment and not an enjoyable one. I hope I can change my attitude. I am going to need all the help I can get."

He worked as a butcher during his time with Margate and he was a keen saxophone player.

In 2002 Tommy was landlord of The Gate pub in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire and one of his neighbours was David Beckham.

By 2011 Tommy had been mine host of The Gate for over 20 years and the pub had its own micro brewery producing ales such as Selhurst Park Flyer and Brooklands Express in homage to his footballing days.











1961/62 (MFC)

40 (66)








     Played and scored in FA Cup 2nd Round (25.11.61 - drew 1-1 at home to Notts County).
     Played in FA Cup 2nd Round replay (30.11.61 - lost 3-1 at Notts County). 
     Played in Southern League Cup Final 1st Leg (07.04.62 - drew 2-2 at Cambridge United).
     Played in Southern League Cup Final 2nd Leg (14.04.62 - lost 2-1 to Cambridge United at home). 
     Played and scored twice in Kent Senior Shield Final (12.05.62 - beat Folkestone 4-0).