Carl Rook

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Carl Rook

Appearances: 23+12 Goals: 8

Date / Year of birth: 10th February 1983

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 2012/13

Season of last appearance: 2012/13

Also played for: Sittingbourne, Deal Town, Hastings United, Dover Athletic, Horsham, Tonbridge Angels, Dartford, Eastbourne Borough, AFC Hornchurch and Leatherhead

Tall striker born in Sittingbourne who featured in his hometown club's junior sides before starting his senior career with Kent League outfit Deal.

In the summer of 2003 Carl played in one friendly for Whitstable before signing for Hastings of the Southern League Eastern Division and at that time he usually played as a centre-back.

Carl made his debut for Hastings in a 3-1 home defeat against Bracknell in the FA Cup on 30.8.03 and as the 2003/04 season progressed he started to play as a striker on a regular basis. On 21.2.04 he got all four goals in a 4-0 home win over Erith & Belvedere and on 2.3.04 Carl scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win over visitors Fleet. He ended 2003/04 having scored 16 league goals and Carl won Hastings' 'Player of the Year' award. During the season the club turned down a £5,000 bid from AFC Wimbledon for his services.

Carl then scored 11 goals in all competitions for Hastings during 2004/05 but he missed the start of the 2005/06 campaign due to injury. On 7.9.05 he scored in a 3-0 win at Epsom & Ewell in the Isthmian League Cup and that turned out to be Carl's last goal for Hastings. Shortly afterwards he was signed by Dover having turned down the chance to move to Folkestone.

Carl made his debut for Dover on 1.10.05 as they took on Newport IOW in an Isthmian League Division 1 game at Crabble and he scored the only goal of the match from the penalty spot. He managed two more goals before leaving the club to join Horsham, also of Division 1, in January 2006.

Carl's debut for Horsham on 21.1.06 was coincidentally against visitors Newport IOW and he got both goals in a 2-1 win, scoring twice inside the first 30 minutes of the game. By the end of the season he'd managed 14 goals as Horsham won promotion to the Isthmian League Premier Division.

During the 2006/07 campaign Carl scored 23 goals in all competitions for Horsham and he was in good form again at the start of 2007/08. On 15.9.07 he scored a hat-trick in a 7-1 home win over Arundel in the FA Cup and on 30.11.07 Carl was part of the side that drew 1-1 with visitors Swansea in an FA Cup 2nd Round tie that was broadcast live on television. However he missed the replay at Swansea on 10.12.07 which the Welsh club won 6-2 due to suspension. By then Carl had scored 12 goals in all competitions but the day after the Swansea tie he joined Tonbridge. The Angels paid a club record £10,000 for him and their manager at the time was Tommy Warrilow who'd previously signed Carl for Horsham. In the days leading up to his transfer Carl had said "My heart is with Horsham. If I could move Queen Street (Horsham's ground) next to my front door in Sittingbourne it would solve the problem."

Carl made his debut for Tonbridge on 11.12.07 - the day he joined the club - as they drew 2-2 with Billericay in the Isthmian League Premier Division and he was prolific during the remainder of the 2007/08 season. Carl scored 18 times in 23 outings (one as sub) in all competitions and he was often partnered in attack by future Margate player Akwasi Edusei. Carl's goal tally included a hat-trick in a 3-0 home win over Leyton on 8.3.08.

He then scored 29 times in 41 appearances (five as sub) in all competitions for Tonbridge during the 2008/09 campaign and Carl managed three hat-tricks during the season including one against his former club Horsham and one against Dartford who he'd later play for.

In the summer of 2009 Carl had an extended trial with Brighton and played in some friendlies for them before returning to Tonbridge.

He scored 18 goals from 26 outings (five a sub) for the Angels during the first half of the 2009/10 campaign and on 3.10.09 Carl hit a hat-trick in a 5-3 defeat at Tooting & Mitcham. In all he'd scored 65 times in 90 appearances (11 as sub) for Tonbridge when Dartford signed him for an undisclosed fee in January 2010. Carl turned down offers from both Farnborough and Margate before opting to join the Darts.

He went on to score once from 13 league outings (six as sub) for Dartford before the end of the season as they won the Isthmian League Premier Division title. Carl's only goal came from the penalty spot in a 4-0 win at Waltham Abbey on 15.4.10.

He managed eight goals in all competitions for the Darts during 2010/11 but Carl was often used as a substitute during the club's inaugural Conference South campaign and in March 2011 he was loaned back to Tonbridge for the remainder of the season.

Carl scored four times in 12 appearances (four as sub) for the Angels during his second stint with the club before briefly returning to Dartford. The Darts released him in May 2011 and in all Carl had scored nine goals from 51 outings (24 as sub) during his time with the club.

In June 2011 Carl linked up with Eastbourne Borough of the Conference South and in October 2011 he scored a hat-trick in an 8-0 win over Arundel in the Sussex Senior Cup. In January 2012 Carl was sent off in a 5-1 defeat at his old club Tonbridge following a clash with the Angels' keeper Lee Worgan and having argued with the referee about his dismissal Carl ended up with a three-match ban. He returned to action as Eastbourne travelled to Farnborough for a league game on 6.3.12 but three minutes into the second half Carl was shown a straight red card and earned himself another four game suspension. Shortly afterwards he was released having scored 11 goals from 27 outings.

After leaving Eastbourne Carl briefly rejoined Tonbridge but at the end of March 2012 he moved on to AFC Hornchurch. Carl scored once from five Premier Division outings (four as sub) for the Urchins during the remainder of the 2011/12 campaign.

After scoring three goals in pre-season friendlies during July 2012 Carl signed for Margate at the start of August 2012 and told the club website "Even before I spoke to the Gaffer, (I knew) that Margate's always been one of the bigger clubs in non-league. The club seems to be heading in the right direction."

He made his competitive debut as a substitute as Margate took on Hendon at Hartsdown Park on 18.8.12 - the opening day of the new Isthmian League Premier Division campaign - and Carl scored with what the Thanet Times described as "a superb header" from a Mark Corneille cross to seal a 2-0 win. He came off the bench to score again in Margate's next match at Hastings on 21.8.12 and Carl's strike with six minutes left levelled the scores at 2-2. Afterwards he told the club website "I did all I could do when I came on. Everyone else was going at 100 miles per hour and it took me five minutes to settle in. But I got the goal and by the end we could have scored two or three more, we could easily have won the game. That's what I bring to the team - goals - and I will continue to do that whenever I get the opportunity."

On 25.8.12 Carl made his first start as Margate drew 3-3 at Kingstonian and for the next month he was a regular in the side. He headed his third goal of the season in a 2-2 draw at Faversham in the FA Cup on 8.9.12 and then opened the scoring in the replay at Hartsdown Park on 11.9.12 that Margate won 3-0. Carl also produced what the Isle of Thanet Gazette called "a contender for miss of the season" as he "scooped over from about a yard out with the goal at his mercy" and he said "How I missed that I'll never know. I was on the line and I took a bit of stick off the fans which I deserved for that one, it was shocking. God knows how it went over the bar but it was harder to miss than score."

On 15.9.12 Carl scored for the third game in a row as Margate beat visitors Enfield Town 2-0 but after he'd played in a 2-1 home defeat against Maidstone in the FA Trophy on 29.9.12 he began to fall out of favour. Although Carl featured in five of Margate's next six matches he was a substitute in two of them and after a 1-1 draw at Thurrock on 20.10.12 he missed two games completely.

He was back in the side for a 2-1 win at Leiston on 6.11.12 and Carl then started the next two matches as well. In the second of them - a 3-1 win over Bury at Hartsdown Park on 17.11.12 - he was sent off late on having picked up two yellow cards and after that Carl only played twice as a sub in the next five games although he was suspended for one of them.

On 5.1.13 he made his first start for six weeks as Margate travelled to Concord Rangers and Carl scored in a 2-1 defeat. He then played from the start in each of the next seven matches up to a 2-0 home win over Leiston on 26.2.13 but Carl didn't score and after that he dropped out of the team again. He was used as a substitute in the next two games.

Carl returned to the starting line-up for a match at Enfield Town on 16.3.13 and scored twice in a 3-0 win. His first goal was smashed home from just outside the penalty area and Carl doubled his tally with a header from a Jamie Hand cross. He also had a penalty saved in the second half which denied him a hat-trick. After the game Carl told Margate's website "When you're out of the habit of scoring lose a bit of your natural instinct (in front of goal). When I hit the post from five yards away, I think it's not going to happen. But then I've had the confidence to shoot from outside the box. It's like they say, if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle."

Despite his brace against Enfield Town Carl only featured three times as a substitute in Margate's next six matches before starting in a 1-0 defeat against visitors East Thurrock on 9.4.13. He then came on as a sub in a 2-0 defeat at Lewes on 11.4.13 but that turned out to be Carl's last appearance for Margate. Shortly afterwards he was released by new joint managers Craig Holloway and Simon Osborn as they felt Carl wasn't fit enough. He'd scored eight times in 35 outings (12 as sub) before his departure and didn't play elsewhere during the last few weeks of the season.

In June 2013 Isthmian League Division 1 South club Whitstable announced that Carl had signed for them and on 29.6.13 he took part in their opening friendly - a 4-0 home defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge. He didn't play again and soon afterwards the Oystermen's manager Nicky Southall told Whitstable's website "Carl Rook has left us - he informed me by a text that he didn't want to drop down to our level. It is interesting that we now have a seven day request from Hornchurch for Carl so read into that as you want." Curiously it was almost exactly ten years since Carl had played once in friendly for Whitstable before moving on.

A few days after Whitstable's announcement Carl signed for AFC Hornchurch as expected, his second spell with the club. On 13.8.13 he scored with a penalty as the Urchins won 2-1 against Margate at Hartsdown Park but Carl also had another spot-kick saved by Craig Holloway.

Carl went on to make a total of 46 appearances (23 as sub) for Hornchurch during the remainder of 2013/14 and scored nine goals before leaving the club in May 2014 to join Premier Division newcomers Leatherhead.

His uncle Carl Laraman played for Thanet United in the 1980's and went on to have a successful career as youth coach with the likes of Arsenal.










2012/13 (MFC)

23 (50)