Dave Danson

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Dave Danson

Appearances: 5 Goals: 0
Clean Sheets: 1

Date / Year of birth: 21st August 1957

Position: Goalkeeper

Season of first appearance: 1975/76

Season of last appearance: 1975/76

Also played for: West Ham United (0), AFC Bournemouth (0), Cardiff City (Wales) (0), Leytonstone-Ilford, Dagenham and Basildon United

Romford-born keeper who kept goal for Essex Schools whilst attending Moulsham Secondary Modern School in Chelmsford and won seven caps for the England Schoolboys team during the 1971/72 campaign. Dave's international team-mates included Ray Wilkins, Trevor Ross, Clive Walker and Wilf Rostron. Dave was also part of the Chelmsford Boys side coached by former Margate player Ron Smillie that won the English Schools Trophy in May 1972.

In August 1972 Dave joined West Ham as an apprentice and he played regularly in the Hammers' youth team during the 1972/73 and 1973/74 seasons. During 1974/75 he was a member of the side that lost to Ipswich in the FA Youth Cup Final and Dave also made four reserve team appearances during the campaign.

In November 1975 Dave joined Margate on a month's loan to cover for the injured Steve Bowtell and he also had a trial for the England Youth team during the month. He made his debut on 15.11.75 in a 3-0 win over Bromley in a Kent Senior Cup tie at Hartsdown and went on to make a total of five appearances before returning to Upton Park. Dave saved a penalty in a 1-1 draw at Tonbridge on 29.11.75.

During the remainder of 1975/76 Dave continued to play in West Ham's youth team and towards the end of the season he made numerous appearances in the reserves. He stayed with the Hammers for the 1976/77 campaign and on 26.2.77 Dave made a return to Hartsdown Park when he kept goal for West Ham's reserve team in a friendly against Margate. In the summer of 1977 he was released having never made a first team appearance.

Dave later had spells with Bournemouth and Cardiff before dropping into non-league football.

He played for Leytonstone-Ilford during the 1979/80 and 1980/81 seasons and then joined Dagenham in August 1981. Dave left the Daggers at the end of the 1981/82 campaign.

During the late 1980's he had a spell in charge of Basildon United that included the 1988/89 season. In September 1988 Dave came out of retirement, although he was only 31, to play for Basildon in an FA Cup tie at home to Barking and saved a penalty in a 3-2 defeat.










1975/76 (MFC)

5 (65)