Harry Merritt

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Harry Merritt

Appearances: 1 Goals: 0

Date / Year of birth: 22nd September 1920

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 1947/48

Season of last appearance: 1947/48

Also played for: Everton (0), Clapton Orient (2,0), Leyton Orient (1,0), Yeovil Town, Trowbridge Town, Dorchester Town and Poole Town

5' 8" tall striker born in Ormskirk who began his career as a junior with his local club Everton, joining the First Division outfit in November 1937. Harry started out in Everton's 'A' team before making his reserve team debut in a 5-1 home win over Leeds on 18.12.37 in front of a crowd of 3,147. He played once more for the reserves before the end of the 1937/38 season but spent the majority of the campaign in the 'A' team and scored five goals for them.

Harry became a regular in Everton's reserve team during the 1938/39 season and scored once from 14 outings for them. He also came close to making his first team debut when he travelled with the senior squad for a match at Birmingham in November 1938 but in the end he wasn't selected.

In the summer of 1939 Harry joined the army but Everton retained his registration and at the end of December 1939 he returned to the club whilst on leave. Harry played in a first team friendly at Southport which ended in a 2-2 draw with the legendary Tommy Lawton scoring one of the Everton goals. It was his last outing for the club at any level as World War II took him away from the Liverpool area.

In September 1945 Harry signed for Clapton Orient and he made two FA Cup appearances during 1945/46. He also featured in the O's reserve side that won the London Combination Cup by beating Fulham Reserves 2-0 at West Ham's Upton Park on 4.5.46. Harry was one of the scorers. Clapton Orient became Leyton Orient ahead of the 1946/47 season and Harry made one first team appearance during the campaign.

Towards the end of 1947 Harry joined Margate but he only made a single appearance, playing in a Kent League game against Canterbury at Hartsdown Park on Boxing Day 1947. The match finished 1-1 and Harry was released shortly afterwards.

He then signed for Southern League club Yeovil and scored seven times before the end of 1947/48. Harry also started the 1948/49 campaign with Yeovil and scored six goals in the first few weeks of the season including both in a 2-2 draw with visitors Merthyr on 28.8.48. He then left the club before Christmas 1948.

Harry later had a spell with Trowbridge before signing for Dorchester in 1950. He scored around 20 goals there from approximately 80 appearances and in March 2014 77 year-old Dorchester supporter Harry Burden recalled seeing Harry play. He said "Harry always played with a heavily bandaged knee. He was my favourite player and still is."

In the summer of 1953 Harry signed for Poole shortly before his 33rd birthday and spent the 1953/54 season there.

He died in Poole on 19.3.04 aged 83.











1947/48 (MFC)









     Margate won Kent League title.