Kwesi Appiah

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Kwesi Appiah

Appearances: 33+1 Goals: 35

Date / Year of birth: 12th August 1990

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 2011/12

Season of last appearance: 2011/12

Also played for: Ebbsfleet United, Peterborough United (0), Weymouth, King's Lynn, Kettering Town, Brackley Town, Thurrock, Crystal Palace (1+9,0 as at end of 2013/14), Aldershot Town (0+2,0), Yeovil Town (1+4,0), Cambridge United, Notts County (1+6,0) and AFC Wimbledon (6+1,3)

Pacy 5' 8" striker born in Thamesmead, London who started his career as part of Ebbsfleet's PASE scheme. Kwesi made his first team debut for the Fleet during the 2007/08 season and on 26.3.08 he was part of the side that won 4-1 at Margate in a Kent Senior Cup tie.

On 20.9.08 he headed his first goal for Ebbsfleet with his first touch after coming on as a substitute aged 18 in a Conference game against visitors Woking and Kwesi then created the Fleet's second goal as they won 2-0. After the match he was interviewed by Radio Kent and said "Everyone's telling me to be patient. Now I've had my chance and I have taken it." Manager Liam Daish also spoke and said of Kwesi "His strength is his confidence. We've got to keep him on the ground a bit. He's not daunted by anything - he's brave, he's got pace, his feet are good and he can head the ball."

Having made three Conference appearances for Ebbsfleet Kwesi was signed by League One club Peterborough in October 2008 but his move sparked controversy. Ebbsfleet were unhappy as they didn't get a fee for Kwesi due to Peterborough signing him as a non-contract player so that he could play in their reserves but the Football Association rejected the Fleet's complaint to them.

Kwesi made his first appearance for Peterborough's reserves on 15.10.08 when he came on as a substitute in a 2-1 home defeat against Watford Reserves. In February 2009 the Posh loaned Kwesi to Conference club Weymouth and he made four appearances there before going back to Peterborough in March 2009.

On 2.4.09 Kwesi scored a hat-trick in a 6-0 win at Stevenage Reserves and by the end of 2008/09 he'd made a total of nine reserve team appearances (one as sub) without scoring again.

In the summer of 2009 Kwesi had a trial with Dagenham & Redbridge and scored for them in a 2-1 friendly win at Thurrock but he didn't sign for the Daggers and remained a Peterborough player as the 2009/10 campaign got under way.

After making two substitute appearances in the reserves during the opening weeks of the season he was loaned to Northern Premier League club King's Lynn in September 2009.

Kwesi scored nine goals from ten outings (three as sub) for King's Lynn including a hat-trick in an amazing 11-0 home win over Durham on 7.11.09. He also scored both goals in a 2-0 win at Whitby in the FA Trophy on 31.10.09. His spell at King's Lynn ended when the club went out of business in December 2009 and at that point Kwesi returned to Peterborough.

In January 2010 he was farmed out to Kettering and scored twice from 15 Conference outings before his loan ended in March 2010.

On 13.4.10 Kwesi scored twice as Peterborough's reserves beat visitors Stevenage 5-0 but at the end of the 2009/10 season he was released by the Posh having never featured in their senior side.

In August 2010 he joined Brackley of the Southern League Premier Division but Kwesi was released by them in October 2010 having scored three times in Southern League and Southern League Cup matches.

He then had a short spell with Conference South club Thurrock but dropped out of senior football before the end of the 2010/11 campaign.

In the summer of 2011 Kwesi joined Margate after manager Chris Kinnear's son, also called Chris, contacted him via Facebook to suggest asking for a trial at Hartsdown Park. Chris Junior had played alongside Kwesi in Ebbsfleet's youth sides.

After he'd scored four goals in his first three friendly outings Kwesi was given a two-year contract and Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "I've known him since he was a young kid...he has pace and good skill. He'll miss a few chances but he'll get lots here and he's also a character as well. Who knows where he could end up if he fulfils his potential. He jumped straight from Ebbsfleet to Peterborough as a young lad from South London and maybe it came too soon for him."

On the eve of the 2010/11 season Chris Kinnear spoke to the Gazette again about Kwesi and said "I think he's got a good chance to get back in the league. He's quick, has quick feet, he's good in the air and likes to score goals, so at 20/21 it's all there for him".

Kwesi made his debut on 20.8.11 as Margate travelled to Wealdstone for their opening Isthmian League Premier Division game of the campaign and opened the scoring after just seven minutes. The match ended 1-1.

On 29.8.11 he got both goals in a 2-2 draw at Hastings, one from the penalty spot, and Kwesi took his tally to four with a strike in a 3-1 win at Metropolitan Police on 14.9.11. Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "Kwesi Appiah scared the life out of them" and the paper said he'd been "outstanding". Kwesi then scored twice in his next outing on 17.9.11 as Margate beat Tooting & Mitcham 3-0 at Hartsdown Park before suffering a mini goal drought of three matches without finding the net.

Kwesi ended his barren spell in dramatic style on 4.10.11 when he was officially credited with five goals as Margate won 6-1 in an FA Cup replay at Thamesmead. It was an all-time record haul for a Margate player in the competition but Kwesi's first 'goal' was actually a clear own-goal by a Thamesmead player as his shot was saved by the home keeper, cannoned away from goal and then hit a defender as he ran in before rebounding several yards back into the net. One of Kwesi's other goals came from the penalty spot.

On 15.10.11 he scored inside 20 seconds as Margate took on Bromley in an FA Cup tie at Hartsdown Park and Kwesi found the net again before going off with an ankle injury 25 minutes into the game. Bromley ended up winning 3-2. On 22.10.11 he again scored twice as Margate won 3-1 at Chipstead in the FA Trophy and afterwards Chris Kinnear told the club's website "I've known him since he was 16. He's one of those (players) who needs an arm round his shoulder but he's loving it at the moment. But I'm pleased for him. While he's smiling, you know you're going to get a performance out of him."

On 25.10.11 Kwesi scored for the third consecutive game in a 1-1 draw at Concord Rangers and a few days later he told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "I'm just so confident in front of goal at the moment. As long as I get the ball I'm sure I'll do damage. Any chance that falls my way I at least expect to hit the target. Seventy per cent of my goals have been latching on to through balls but I've also been able to sniff out chances in the box. It's quite a shock to the system to have scored so many goals. I've never had a full season. Peterborough loaned me out a few times and I scored 12 in 10 at King's Lynn but this is the best run I've had in my career. I want to get back in the league and the gaffer has been brilliant about that. I believe in my ability and if someone takes a chance I'm sure I'll repay them."

Kwesi's next goal came in a 2-1 defeat at Wealdstone in the FA Trophy on 8.11.11 and then on 12.11.11 he scored four times in a 5-0 home win over Wingate & Finchley to take his tally for the season to 21. The Thanet Times' match report was headlined "I'm Kwesi four you !" and his first goal came from the penalty spot whilst Kwesi's fourth was a low drive from 25 yards.

After Kwesi had come on as a sub in a 3-2 defeat at Metropolitan Police in the Isthmian League Cup on 16.11.11 Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "He goes from nothing to top speed in two or three steps which is exceptional. I've known him a long time and I know how to handle him." The paper compared Kwesi to former Margate star Leon Braithwaite and Kinnear said "Leon had pace but Kwesi has a bit of skill too and he's probably a better finisher than Leon."

On 19.11.11 Kwesi scored an injury-time winner as Margate beat Kingstonian 2-1 at Hartsdown Park but in its report on a 1-0 home win over Ramsgate in the Kent Senior Cup on 22.11.11 the Isle of Thanet Gazette said he "had a quiet night by his standards". Kwesi then scored both goals in a 2-0 win at Harrow on 26.11.11 before bagging another brace in a 5-0 win over visitors East Thurrock on 29.11.11, a game where he was watched by scouts from both Queens Park Rangers and Watford.

After the East Thurrock match Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "Nobody's been in touch yet but the time will come. He had nowhere to go before he came here...I knew he was a decent player but he's far exceeded my expectations. It's always been my strength knowing how to recognise a player. I don't know why - it's just one of those things...Kwesi's a work in progress but he has all the ingredients and you don't score all those goals unless you have ability. You never know, he might end up playing for Ghana. He's a goalscorer but he's also blinking quick. He's 21, he's scoring goals and he loves it. He's also a nice lad. There's no Big-Time Charlie about him. He's a rounded, bright lad."

The Thanet Times said Kwesi "worked his nuts off for the team" in a 1-1 home draw with Canvey Island on 3.12.11 and after missing a game with a recurrence of his ankle problem he returned to action with two goals in a 4-2 win over Cray at Bromley on 27.12.11. Kwesi then scored again in his next outing - a 3-1 win at Aveley on 31.12.11.

On 2.1.12 he reached the 30-goal mark with the first of his hat-trick as Margate beat Hastings 4-1 at Hartsdown Park and the Isle of Thanet Gazette wrote "it seems a matter of when rather than if somebody has a crack at signing Kwesi Appiah...his record is impossible to ignore...and it's a pleasure to watch him play, a lad buzzing with confidence who loves his football and gobbles up every chance that comes his way". Two of his three goals came inside the first eight minutes of the match and Chris Kinnear said "He should end up with over 50 goals. I doubt they'll dry up because he's playing so well and we create a lot of chances." The Margate manager also told the Gazette that Kwesi had jokingly started calling him 'dad' and around the same time the club issued an official statement dismissing speculation about Kwesi moving to Championship outfit Watford.

On 7.1.12 he scored for the fourth game in a row to earn Margate a 1-0 win over visitors Concord Rangers and the Thanet Times said "with Appiah up front you always have a chance". A few days later Kwesi sparked rumours of a possible move to Blackpool when he used Twitter to post a message saying "Margate have agreed deal with Blackpool. Going to meet the Gaffa later in the week. Exciting stuff !"

On 19.1.12 the Sky Sports website announced that Kwesi's potential move had fallen through despite a fee being agreed and said the reason was that he felt Blackpool was too far away. Kwesi told Sky Sports "I am very happy that Blackpool made an approach to sign me but at this stage of my career I don't think I am ready to uproot so far away from home. Hopefully my club Margate can agree something with a club that is closer to home so I don't have too much upheaval."

Margate's Chief Executive Cliff Egan told the Thanet Times "We agreed an undisclosed fee with Blackpool but Kwesi couldn't agree personal terms. It's the only offer we've had to we're hoping we'll be able to hold on to him and go for promotion."

A few days later Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "We've done well by Kwesi. We signed him when he didn't have a club and (assistant manager) Jake (Leberl) and I have helped him with his game. We play in a way that suits him and that's how he's been able to score so many goals. I said when I came back the idea was to get young players and help them into the league if we could. I'm keeping my word on that with Kwesi and the same goes for any young lad who gets the chance to move on." Kinnear added he thought Kwesi had the qualities to do well in the professional game, saying "He's a bubbly character and a great lad. He's not a shrinking violet but he's confident without being arrogant and you can't beat that. He's so calm running in on goal. He doesn't panic - he's cool and calculated. Saying that, he'd never been prolific until this season but it's worked with Jake and I and the team have helped him. I'm hopeful the club he goes to will treat him properly."

As speculation about his future continued Kwesi found the net for the fifth game in a row as Margate beat Lewes 5-1 at Hartsdown Park on 21.1.12 and he was watched by a scout from Norwich. He then got his 35th goal of the season with a 20-yard volley as Margate lost 4-3 to visitors Charlton in the Kent Senior Cup on 24.1.12. That meant that Kwesi had scored in six consecutive matches and managed a total of nine goals in those games. The Charlton tie was watched by scouts from Crystal Palace, Norwich and Tottenham but Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "We've not had any offers, other than Blackpool's, so Kwesi will be playing for us until someone makes a bid, it's accepted and he agrees terms. He looked lively on Tuesday and scored a good goal."

On 28.1.12 Kwesi played as Margate lost 2-1 at Carshalton and it turned out to be his final outing for the club. He'd scored 35 times in only 34 appearances (one as sub) when Margate accepted a bid for him from Championship outfit Crystal Palace on 31.1.12. Kwesi signed a two-and-a-half year contract with the Eagles and the fee involved was undisclosed.

Cliff Egan told the This Is Kent website "It's all happened very quickly but we wish Kwesi all the best. We knew there was interest from Palace but the move came out of the blue. Kwesi came to us and said it was his preferred club so we sat down with Palace. We rejected their first offer but they came back and we've done a deal. I'm not sure how we'll use the money yet but we're obviously in the market for a replacement. Mind you, it won't be easy to replace a player who's scored 35 goals by January. We had someone lined up last week but it fell through."

Chris Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "We didn't get the fee we were hoping for. Palace were a little bit mean with what they were prepared to give us. It was nothing like the money on offer from Blackpool but once a player makes up his mind he wants to go, you have no choice. I'd like to think he'll do well at Palace, there's no reason why he shouldn't."

Towards the end of February 2012 Chris Kinnear asked whether Palace would be willing to loan Kwesi back to Margate for the remainder of the 2011/12 season as at that stage he hadn't featured in the Eagles first team and he was finding opportunities limited due to Palace not having a reserve side. The Londoners turned the request down and Kinnear told the Isle of Thanet Gazette "It's a pity for us but at least we know now."

Kwesi then made his first appearance as a Palace player on 28.2.12 as their Development team took on Queens Park Rangers and he scored in a 4-2 defeat.

On 3.3.12 Kwesi was an unused substitute as the Eagles entertained his old club Peterborough but on 6.3.12 he made his first team debut as an 85th minute substitute in a 1-1 draw at Coventry in the Championship. A few days later Kwesi spoke to the Isle of Thanet Gazette about the experience and said "My heart started pumping when the gaffer told me I was going on and I was thinking 'This is it'. It was quite nerve-racking but once I got my first touch it felt like a normal game. It was a great night for me and hopefully the first of many."

Kwesi went on to make three more appearances for Palace as a substitute without scoring before the end of the 2011/12 campaign and on 24.4.12 he returned to Hartsdown Park to collect Margate's 'Supporters' Player of the Year' award. Kwesi was interviewed by the Isle of Thanet Gazette and told the paper "I'm having a ball at Palace. It is a fantastic place to play football. I owe Margate and Chris Kinnear a lot for getting me where I am today. It was sad to leave but the Palace offer was one I just couldn't refuse."

At the start of the 2012/13 season Kwesi made three substitute appearances for Palace before starting for the first time on 28.8.12 as the Eagles lost 4-1 at Preston in a League Cup tie. He was substituted at half-time and former Margate striker Akpo Sodje was one of the home side's scorers.

In September 2012 Kwesi was loaned to League Two club Aldershot for a month and their manager Dean Holdsworth told the Get Hampshire website "Kwesi comes highly recommended and is a player that I am looking forward to working with. Whilst we have other strikers out on loan acquiring valuable game time, the arrival of Kwesi gives us another option and a month to look at him. Hopefully he can set the world alight."

He made his debut for the Shots as a substitute in a 0-0 draw with visitors Morecambe on 15.9.12 but Kwesi only made one other sub appearance before going back to Selhurst Park.

On 5.1.13 he featured as a sub as Palace drew 0-0 with Premier League visitors Stoke in an FA Cup tie and towards the end of January 2013 Kwesi joined Yeovil on loan. The Glovers manager at the time was Gary Johnson and he'd been in charge of Peterborough during Kwesi's spell there. Johnson told BBC Somerset "He's quick and he's got a good first touch."

Kwesi made his debut for Yeovil as a substitute in a 2-1 home win over MK Dons in League One on 29.1.13 and after three further outings from the bench he played from the start in a 2-0 defeat at Colchester on 26.2.13. That was his last appearance and Kwesi then went back to Palace but didn't feature in the first team again before the end of the 2012/13 campaign as the club won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.

On 27.8.13 Kwesi made his first Palace appearance for over seven months when he came on as a substitute in a 2-1 defeat at Bristol City in the League Cup and in September 2013 he was loaned to Conference club Cambridge United. Their Director of Football Jez George said "We are absolutely delighted to be able to sign a player of Kwesi's ability. It's unusual for us to be able to bring in a senior player from a Premier League club, but it is great testament to our Football Department that a player of his quality has agreed to join us." George also added "We watched Kwesi when he was at we know all about his strengths. As soon as we knew of his availability we worked really hard and quickly to make it happen. His profile fits exactly what we are looking for at the moment."

Kwesi made his debut for Cambridge in a 1-0 home win over Gateshead on 14.9.13 and on 24.9.13 he scored his first goal in a 3-0 win over visitors Nuneaton. By the time his loan ended in December 2013 Kwesi had managed ten Conference goals from 14 appearances (one as sub) including two in his last outing - a 3-0 home win over Macclesfield on 10.12.13.

In January 2014 Crystal Palace sent Kwesi out on loan again and he joined League One club Notts County, making his debut as a substitute in a 4-3 defeat at Peterborough on 21.1.14. Kwesi went on to make five more appearances as a sub for the Magpies before playing the full 90 minutes in a 6-0 defeat at Rotherham on 1.3.14. That was his last outing for Notts County and he then returned to Palace.

At the end of March 2014 Kwesi embarked on another loan spell when he signed for AFC Wimbledon, joining the League Two outfit for the rest of the 2013/14 season. He made his debut as an early substitute in a 1-0 defeat at Mansfield on 30.3.14, coming on after just 15 minutes. On 18.4.14 Kwesi scored his first Football League goal in a 2-2 draw with visitors Newport and he found the net twice more in his next three outings for the Dons. He ended up with a record of three goals from seven appearances (one as sub) before going back to Palace at the end of 2013/14.

In July 2014 Kwesi was loaned to Cambridge United once again ahead of their return to League Two for the 2014/15 campaign and he was scheduled to stay with the club until January 2015. Kwesi told United's website "Obviously I was here before and had a good connection with everyone. It was great to see the team win at Wembley in the FA Trophy and then be here at the Abbey for the play-off semi-final. Hopefully the fans will see some more goals from me this season and hope as a team we can give them something to cheer about !"










2011/12 (MFC)

33 (54)