Ricky Pearson

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Ricky Pearson

Appearances: 20 Goals: 1

Date / Year of birth: 18th October 1970

Position: Centre-back

Season of first appearance: 1994/95

Season of last appearance: 1994/95

Also played for: Chatham Town, Gillingham (9+2,0), Wycombe Wanderers, Ashford Town, Fisher Athletic, Erith & Belvedere, Sittingbourne and Fisher Athletic (London)

6' 0" tall defender born in Ulcombe who played for Chatham's youth team before joining Gillingham during the 1986/87 campaign. In July 1987 Ricky signed trainee forms and he became a regular in the Gills' youth team during the next two seasons.

On 4.4.89 Ricky made his first team debut when he came on as a substitute in a match against Bolton at Priestfield and in July 1989 he was signed as a full-time professional. He started the 1989/90 campaign in the Gills' first team but after losing his place Ricky was loaned to Conference club Wycombe in December 1989.

He made 15 appearances (one as sub) for Wycombe without scoring and towards the end of Ricky's loan spell Martin O'Neill became the club's manager.

Ricky returned to Gillingham in February 1990 but was released in the summer of that year having made a total of 11 first team appearances (two as sub).

He joined Ashford for the start of the 1990/91 season and then in February 1991 Fisher paid £7,000 for Ricky's services.

He stayed with Fisher until September 1992 when he signed for Erith & Belvedere.

In the summer of 1993 Ricky rejoined Ashford and on 8.3.94 he was part of the Southern League's squad for a centenary challenge match against Millwall. He stayed with the club for the start of the 1994/95 campaign and on 18.10.94 Ricky was the victim of an attempted attack by an Erith & Belvedere player armed with a wooden cosh after Ashford had thrashed the Deres 6-1. Fortunately a group of supporters intervened before any damage could be done.

In January 1995 Ricky signed for Margate having made over 100 appearances for Ashford and he made his debut at right-back in a 1-0 defeat against Fisher at Hartsdown Park on 17.1.95. The Isle of Thanet Gazette said he "came through with flying colours... proving that he should be a useful acquisition". Ricky then played regularly for the remainder of the 1994/95 campaign, always as a centre-back, and on 14.2.95 he scored in a 2-1 home win over Burnham. The Gazette said he was "outstanding" in a 2-0 defeat at Havant on 22.3.95 and Ricky finished the season having scored once in 20 appearances.

In the summer of 1995 he played in Margate's first pre-season friendly against Gillingham and then joined Sittingbourne. Ricky went on become the Brickies' captain before going back to Fisher in February 1999. By then he'd made 130 appearances (one as sub) for Sittingbourne.

Ricky became Fisher's captain and they were his last senior club before he retired.

His brother Andy played alongside him at Ashford and Ricky's cousin Malcolm Smith played for Margate.









1994/95 (MFC)

20 (55)