Tony Potts

*Indicates unconfirmed information. Figures in brackets after English team names indicate all appearances made and goals scored in competitive matches for Football League clubs from 1888 onwards. For Scottish League clubs the figures show details of all competitive appearances and goals scored from 1946/47 onwards.

Tony Potts

Appearances: 1 Goals: 0

Date / Year of birth: 24th October 1972

Position: Striker

Season of first appearance: 1993/94

Season of last appearance: 1993/94

Also played for: Tottenham Hotspur (0), Charlton Athletic (0), Millwall (0), Dagenham & Redbridge, Billericay Town, Erith & Belvedere, Tonbridge Angels, Bromley, Corinthian, Erith Town, Wellington United (New Zealand), Thamesmead Town and Slade Green

Striker who attended Bexley Grammar School in Kent and signed South Eastern Counties League (SECL) forms for Tottenham on 22.10.88. Tony scored five goals in 14 SECL Division 2 appearances during 1988/89 and in July 1989 Spurs signed him as a full-time trainee.

The 1989/90 season was a great one for Tony, he scored 30 goals in 45 appearances for Spurs' youth team as they won the FA Youth Cup, SECL Division 1 and Southern Junior Floodlit Cup. He also played twice for Spurs' reserves in the Football Combination.

During 1990/91 Tony scored 15 goals in 23 youth team appearances and played seven times for the reserves, scoring once, but in April 1991 he suffered a cruciate ligament injury. Despite that setback Spurs gave him a professional contract in May 1991 and Tony recovered sufficiently to make six reserve team appearances without scoring before the end of the 1991/92 campaign.

During the 1992/93 season Tony only played twice for Spurs' reserves and had loan spells with Charlton and Millwall. He was still troubled by his knee injury and in June 1993 Tony was released.

In the summer of 1993 he appeared in some of Dover's friendlies before opting to sign for Conference club Dagenham & Redbridge who loaned him to Margate almost immediately.

Tony played up front as Margate drew 0-0 with Fareham at Hartsdown Park on 21.8.93, the opening day of the 1993/94 campaign, and the Thanet Times said he "produced some deft touches at times". It was his only game for the club and Tony went back to Dagenham & Redbridge immediately afterwards.

He only made one first team appearance for the Daggers, scoring twice in a 6-4 home win over Collier Row in an Essex Senior Cup tie on 20.9.93, before joining Billericay at the end of September 1993.

Tony later played for Erith & Belvedere and left them to join Tonbridge at the end of October 1994 before linking up with Bromley for the 1995/96 season.

After a stint with Corinthian and a second spell with Erith & Belvedere Tony spent 1997/98 with Erith Town and then left England to play for Wellington United in New Zealand.

He later coached at Fort Myers in the USA and qualified as a primary school teacher in 2001.

In 2002 Tony took up a job as Charlton Athletic's Under-11's coach.

He joined Thamesmead for the start of the 2002/03 campaign and Tony went on to spend almost five years there, becoming the first team's player-coach in June 2006.

In January 2007 he joined Slade Green as a player but Tony returned to Thamesmead for the 2007/08 season and played exclusively for the reserves, scoring six goals for them. In May 2008 he was appointed as the club's reserve team assistant manager.

In August 2008 Tony became assistant manager at Erith Town and still played when needed during 2008/09. He left the club at the end of the 2009/10 season.

His full name was actually John Anthony Potts but he was always known as Tony.









1993/94 (MFC)

1 (54)